This a simple guide on how to create a vanilla OS X on VMWare Workstation running in a Windows host. The VM is an useful for testing osx and also for creating installers for use on a real mac/hackintosh
There are many guides and videos on the internet about running OS X oWindows machines.So google it if want to lean more.Here i am testing on 10.11 but it will work for 10.9 to 10.12 (10.12 is in DP)
Things you need:
- Intel System with Quad or more cores running Windows 7 X64 or later
- 4GB (min) or more RAM
- Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine
- VMware Workstation 12 (i’m using Pro)
- VMware Unlocker 2.0.7 (by Donk)
- CMD files for making iso ( only for Real Mac and Hackintosh)
- Install OS X.app and Real Mac or Hackintosh to prepare installation ISO(Recommended) or Download ISO (10.11) or ISO(10.12)
- USB drive (exFAT or FAT32 or NTFS formatted)
Making installation ISO on Real Mac or HACK :
1. Download “Install OS X .app”Mavericks,Yosemite,El Capitan or Serria DP (if you have DP account or from other way) from the App Store into your Applications folder.
2. Download and unzip the xx.tool (attached below ). Open Terminal and drag n drop xx.tool file or
cd downloads chmod +x xx.tool ./xx.tool
- CMI.tool @ for Mavericks 10.9
- CYI.tool @for Yosemite 10.10
- CECI.tool @for El Capitan 10.11
- CSerria.tool @ for Serria 10.12
N.B. For new macOS 10.12 still in DP or Beta, so to make iso you need edit First line for XXX.tool
Credit :MSok, colt2,Donk,Zenith432,fusion71au
3. Copy all the needed files to USB/HDD drive.Login in to Windows and copy/ paste all files including ISO.
Install and Patch VMware :
Here I’m using VMware Workstation 12 Pro and it also has VMware Player.Installation and patch will be same.
1.Extract Unlocker 2.o.8
2.Install VMware pro/player
3.Open files>locate ‘win-install.cmd‘ right click and Run As Administrator .
4.Wait until windows cmd finishes and closed itself.
Create Virtual Machine:
1. Open VMware Workstation 12 Pro/Player and click ‘Create a New Virtual Machine’. Choose ‘Typical” first only for VMW Pro For player Choose ‘I will install the operating system later’.
2. Select Apple Mac OS X as the Guest operating system and the version you want to install and press Next .
3.Choose where OSX folder will be created .By defaults its in Documents /Virtual Machines folder/OSX Version name .so just leave it defaults.Next
4. Make VM Disk Size 40 GB and Select ‘Store virtual disk as a single disk”then Next.
5.Now Choose “Customize hardware” and Click new CD/DVD and select Use ISO image File and Located you ISO file.
7. Now Got to VM configuration folder .If defaults then it will be in Documents /Virtual Machines folder/OSX Version name (e.g. OSX10.11). Open OSX 10.11.vmx file in Notepad/Word pad.Change under virtualHW.version = “12” to “10” and add below smc.version = “0” Save changes.
Installation should be simple.Just fellow the prompts on install screen.
1.Select Language and agree on terms.
2.Open Disk utility.choose VM disk and format it partition as GUID Mac OS X Extended.
3.Quite Disk Utility and choose your installation partition(e.g. VM 10.11)
4.Installation will take about 20-40 min depends on hw spec you configure.After finish VM will reboot automatically.
5.Configure your newly installed osx.(e.g. user account,Time zone,icloud login)
6.At last you will be on osx Desktop.Now Eject CD drive and install VMware tools software.To do that you need to go …… and install VM Tools
if player: Click on Player>Manage> Install VMware Tools…
if Pro: Click on VM >Install VMware Tools…
7.After installation finish reboot VM
Enjoy osx on VMware.
Only if not working add the following to VMWare configuration file (OS X 10.11.vmx).But chances are still 50/50.
efi.nvram.var.ROM.reflectHost = “FALSE”
efi.nvram.var.MLB.reflectHost = “FALSE”
efi.nvram.var.ROM = “XXXXXX” [6 digit decimal]
efi.nvram.var.MLB = “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” [16 digit hexadecimal]
You can use a random number for ROM and MLB.Use Clover Configurator to generate ROM and MLB.